President Trump’s nuclear strategy not only increases the likelihood of nuclear conflict but also incurs a tremendous financial cost.
In the News:
- “President Donald Trump’s aggressive push to expand America’s nuclear arsenal comes at a time of soaring tensions between the U.S. and North Korea. Peace groups have warned repeatedly over the past several months that if diplomacy isn’t pursued immediately, a ‘nuclear nightmare’ could quickly break out.” Jake Johnson. Common Dreams. 2018
- Additionally, the cost of maintaining and modernizing U.S. nuclear forces is projected to cost at least $1.2 trillion over 30 years, drastically increasing U.S. defense spending.
Insights from Peace Science
- The U.S.’s overwhelming military capabilities and the presence of U.S. troops on the Korean Peninsula are primary motivators for North Korea’s nuclear program.
- Increased military spending leads to slower economic growth.
- Over a 20-year period, a 1% increase in military spending will decrease economic growth by 9%.
- Peace Science Digest Vol 2, Special Issue-Nuclear Weapons: “The Effects Of Military Spending On Economic Growth“; “Too Close And Too Strong. U.S. Power And Proximity Contributing To North Korea’s Nuclear Ambitions“.
- Ignoring Risks, Trump Moving to Modernize Ineffective and Potentially ‘Catastrophic’ Nukes by Jake Johnson for Common Dreams. Feb. 16, 2018.